Friday 23 October 2015

'I like them shoes...'

I'm very respectful when it comes to people's backgrounds. And I also understand everyone has been brought up in different ways.
However, there is a pet hate of mine which I wanted to share with you, and see if you feel the same way.
I'm really in to english language, I think it's a great subject, and call me a snob or whatever, but it really grinds my gears when native speakers don't use the correct form of it.

 Let me elaborate...

The worst of them all is when people don't use the correct demonstratives (this, that, these and those) and will say things like 'I love them shoes' or 'them ones are nice'. And there have been instances in the past where I've heard these phrases and just looked at the person in sheer disgust, as if they have just spat in front of me (and then I have to excuse my expression and blame it on my resting bitch face).

Secondly, is when people conjugate tenses incorrectly e.g. 'I been there yesterday'. Argh. Just no. Just, no. I mean, that's not how the majority of people talk, and surely you notice it, so it bewilders me as to why you would continue doing it when you know it's wrong!

Thirdly, double negatives. 'I don't know nothing' (yes, well clearly not). This is not spanish. We do not have double negatives in our language. And quite frankly, if you actually listen to the words you are saying, it doesn't  make any sense!! You can't not know nothing otherwise that implies you do know something!

And finally, when people omit the preposition 'to' and the definite article 'the' e.g. 'I went gym yesterday' ... NO... you went TO THE gym. And you know you went to the gym, so why are you missing out half the sentence?

I have to mention, I've noticed this becoming a bit of a recent trend, some of my friends have actually started doing it on purpose. Don't ask my why, it frustrates me to high heaven.

Obviously the majority of people which use language in this way do it unintentionally because that's how they've been brought up and that's what they're used to. So occasionally, I have to withhold my judgements. But for those of you who know you're doing it, it's not cool and it's not clever.


No comments:

Post a Comment